Pre & Post Natal Care:
Many women suffer from musculoskeletal pain during pregnancy, especially low back pain, with 50-80% of women reporting back pain during pregnancy and 50-75% during labour. Not wanting to take medication and unsure of what to do about their pain, many expectant moms just live with it.
Dr. Camastra is certified in Webster Technique and is a member of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA). Webster Technique is a specific Chiropractic analysis and adjustment that is used during pregnancy to reduce the effects of sacral and sacroiliac joint dysfunction in order to improve the biomechanical function of the sacrum and pelvis. This technique helps to reduce tension in muscles and ligaments in the pelvic region that can cause restriction on the uterus. Relieving physical stress on the uterus makes its mechanical environment as accommodating as possible, thereby optimizing the room a baby has for development throughout pregnancy. With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia (abnormal labour or childbirth) and, therefore, results in easier and safer deliveries for both mom and baby.
According to recent studies, women receiving Chiropractic care:
- Have an easier pregnancy including increased comfort during the third trimester and delivery and reduced need for pain medication.
- In their first pregnancy, have a 24% reduction in labour times and those giving birth for the second or third time reported 39% reduction in shorter labour times.
- Have a 50% reduced need for analgesics (pain medication) and report relief of back pain during pregnancy with chiropractic care (84% of subjects in the study).
- Have a significantly less likelihood of back labour (contractions and sharp pain felt in the lower back during labour).
- Have become more comfortable breastfeeding (posture-wise).
- Post partum, helps the woman’s body deal with the added stresses that occur as they care for their baby.